Saturday, November 12, 2011

Jail Death

About 1 year ago we had an inmate get sick. He hadn't had a bowel movement in nearly a week. He was housed in medical due to his condition. While in medical the inmate suddenly lost control of his bowels. It went everywhere. He then died. The deputies and nurses that were on shift did CPR on him until the paramedics got there. I was lucky enough to be coming in late that evening so I did not have to be there. I believe he was pronounced dead right around 9:00pm and I got there at 10:00pm the smell in the jail was awful. By the time they stopped doing CPR on him his chest was completely sunken in. I'm sure most of his ribs were broken.

This may seem like a tragedy but the reality is this inmate was a child molester. He had victimized several small children and no doubt would have done it again if he was given the chance. As heartless as it sounds nearly everyone said something to the effect of "he got what he deserved" I can only recall one deputy who was visibly shaken by the incident.

This is one of two deaths that have occurred at the jail since I have been there. The other was an older man who had cancer.

These incidents don't happen often but if you become a Correctional Officer you will no doubt deal with death in one capacity or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment